Skip to main content

Preliminary Exercise 6: Introduction to Camerawork Warm-Up

 Greetings everyone,

    Lately, I have been learning about camerawork in media studies. Camerawork is the way something is being filmed. This plays into the framing, angles, shots, movements, and composition. In class we were mainly focused on shot sizes and camera angles. Shot size is how much of the setting or subject is displayed within a frame of a shot. Camera angles marks a specific location at which the camera is placed to take the shot. Filmmakers uses this to emphasize specific emotions, ideas, and movement for each scene. 

   We went through the different types of shot sizes. Such as full shot, wide shot, master shot, establishing shot, medium shot, medium full shot, medium close up, close up, and extreme close up. We also learned about the different types of camera angles such as, high angles, low angles, eye level, Dutch, overhead, hip level, knee level, and ground level. We took notes on a video called “Ultimate Guide to Camera Shots: Every Shot Size Explained [The Shot List. Ep 1]” by Studio Binders. I am going to use these notes later on to create my movie shots.

   So far, I am pretty excited to start working on my movie shots and angles. I have been looking forward to learning this concept because I feel like this is one of the most important concepts to know. Whenever I watch a movie with bad camera transitions, it is very distracting. I can’t get into the movie, which ruins the movie overall. This is why I feel like once I learn camerawork, I would be able to get a high grade on my movie. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preliminary Exercise: Introduction to Storyboarding: Camera Angles

 Hello everyone,    During media studies class we have been focusing on the importance of camera angles. Camera angles marks the specific location at which the camera is placed to take a shot. This evokes a different experience and sometimes emotion. Camera angles includes low angle, high angle, overhead level, Dutch angle, eye level, hip level, knee level, and ground level. A high angle shot is where the camera looks down on the subject from a high angle. This shot emphasizes the subject vulnerability, or their lower status compared to another subject. This can be used to imply danger or tension. A low angle shot would be the opposite of this but can be used to evoke the same feelings. This camera technique is when the camera angle is positioned below the eye line of the subject, pointing upwards. This can convey vulnerability or power or a mixture between these two.     For this assignment I had to draw an example of each camera angle and include some det...

Preliminary Exercise: Introduction to Storyboarding: Shot Sizes

 Welcome everyone,    During media studies we have been focusing on the importance of shot sizes. A shot size is how much of the setting or subject is displayed within a frame of the shot. This helps to emphasize specific emotions, ideas, and movements for each scene. For example, the establishing shot is usually the first scene of a movie. It’s used to establish the location and environment of a place. This can be used to establish mood and give the audience visual clues regarding the time period and general situation.    For this assignment we had to create a storyboard about the different types of shot sizes. We had to draw an example of the shot and include some details about the shot to help us memorize it. There were ten shot sizes I had to learn: establishing shot, master shot, wide shot, full shot, medium full shot, medium shot, medium close up, close up, and extreme close-up. These were fairly easy to learn. I worked on this assignment alone, since this...

Preliminary Exercise 2: Barthes’ Theory Semiotic Analysis of the Hunger Games Catching Fire Table 2

 After I was done with the first part of Preliminary Exercise 2, I started to work on the second part. This part required us to watch a media text and look for signs that supports the clip's genre and narrative. I had to document prominent signs in the clip and their denotative and connotative meanings. The media text was a clip from the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games is a movie that takes place in an era that the world is overpopulated. This required them to select one person from each district to take place in a survival game, only leaving one person alive. This clip from the Hunger Games took place after there were two survivors for the first time. They were being interviewed with other contestants to take place in the Hunger Games again. While watching this clip I took notes of both audio and visual signs. To do this I had to examine the characters, costumes, acting, setting, color, lighting, sound, etc.    Me and my partner picked three different signs to analyze. Th...